Saturday, June 5, 2010

Super Quick Garden Update

Got most of the garden planted now.  I say most, but really we have a lot more to go, I'm just hoping it won't take too long--the prep work is mostly done.  Trying out a couple of new kinds of dry beans since we had so much fun with that last year.  They're not very pretty, but are supposed to taste good, so we'll see how they turn out.  All the parts for the water system are here, but not installed yet.

I planted my tomatoes, peppers, and onions outside before leaving for our little trip over Memorial Day and put soaker hoses on the whole planted sections of the garden hooked to our garden water timer that we only use when we take vacations.  It is a lifesaver.  Crazy thing though, when I got back about half the tomatoes had their tops frozen off and four of the pepper plants had frozen.  The tomatoes are all still alive at the base (although one is looking pretty bad).  Who said it could freeze at my house over Memorial Day weekend???  Tomorrow is supposed to be around 90 degrees.  Crazy weather here.  Hopefully the freezing is done finally because my first planting of beans is up already.  Ahhhh, the joy of gardening.  You never know what's going to happen, except weeds growing are almost a certainty!

1 comment:

commoncents said...

THANK YOU for posting this! I really like your blog...

Steve:
Common Cents
http://www.commoncts.blogspot.com