Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Making Canned Milk Products from Powdered Milk

Back when I started storing food I stocked up on some canned milk products like evaporated milk and sweetened condensed milk.  I've found they don't store very long--the expiration date on the can is pretty much all they're good for and I don't use them often enough to rotate through them quick enough.  So check out my post over on Utah Preppers for some information on making evaporated milk and sweetened condensed milk from powdered milk.  Powdered milk stores way longer than canned milks (I'm currently using powdered milk canned in 1998 and it's fine), so making it from powdered is the route I'll be taking from now on for my canned milk needs.

4 comments:

Leasmom said...

I just found the Tennessee Preppers website. I've got to look at my expiration dates.

Chief Instructor said...

I'm curious - you mentioned in the Utah Preppers post that you use non-instant powdered milk. I just checked what we have in our pantry, and it is "Instant non-fat milk".

How do these two milks differ? Does one store longer than the other? Is the preparation different?

I must admit, I can't stand the taste of the instant milk (and I'm a big milk lover). If there is something that tastes more like fresh milk, I'll hunt it down!

HermitJim said...

Thanks for the link to this informative post. This is something I need to try!

Angela said...

Leasmom-yeah, most of the states have prepper networks now--really a good localized resource.

chief-The instant and non instant are processed a little differently. Instant ends up kind of like flakes and dissolves easily and the non instant is a powder and doesn't dissolve as easily in water (best to use warm water and a blender with the non instant). The non instant tastes even less like real milk although there are some "milk" tasting brands of instant powdered milk out there. I'll see what I can find out on brands and flavor.

Jim-there's so much you can make with the powdered milk it's really a useful item to have around. :)