Monday, December 13, 2010

Catch Up Post--Cutting Elk

This post has moved. Click here to go to it.


Heidi said...

Wow! I'd love to hear more details on the cutting. (And again, I'm so impressed that it doesn't bother you--especially when you're pregnant! I can't even look at/touch meat for the first 16 weeks of my pregnancies!)

I would love to hear what kind of knives you recommend and how you keep them sharp.

Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Yep - you get every morsel when you butcher it up yourself.

And even better, there are the bones! I pressure good the backbones, neckbones, and rib bones down. I get broth to can for soups and a shredded meat that is good either in soups/stews or as a BBQ beef type thing, or great in tacos, burritos, etc.

Yes it is a long process... I usually sit down at the kitchen table and do one small piece at a time so it doesn't get too warm.

One memory I'll never forget is when we had an emergency butcher of one of our dairy cows - broke a leg... I was up PAST midnight on Christmas Eve wrapping hamburger... Not my fav memory - exhausted - but ya gotta do what ya gotta do!


Adventures in Self Reliance said...

Marci I bake my bones for stock.Then throw them in in a crock pot with veggies. Never thought of pressure cooking them. Do you get more flavor/stock that way?